Probiotics are microorganisms that help with digestion and offer protection from harmful bacteria, just as the existing “good” bacteria in your body already does. Probiotics are found in foods such as yogurt. Use of antibiotics may deplete the bodies good bacteria. Probiotics used as a supplement may assist in restoring the healthy bacteria in the body. Probiotic are found in foods such as yogurt or may be taken in supplement form.
- Treat diarrhea, especially following treatment with certain antibiotics
- Prevent and treat vaginal yeast infections and urinary tract infections
- Treat irritable bowel syndrome
- Speed treatment of certain intestinal infections
- Prevent or reduce the severity of colds and flu